Thursday, May 5, 2011

#16 - ADIOS or BONJOUR?





ADIOS or BONJOUR


#16



From:           Girona- (CATALONIA)
To:               Port Vendes - France
Distance:     155km / 96 miles
Climate:        18C = 65F
Altitude:      Sea Level


Goodbye Spain!
Hello France!

Goodbye bulls meat and hello croissants!! 


But stop! Before we could leave this morning the big question was not beach or mountains. It was -  " will our credit cards actually arrive in the morning so we can continue our journey?" 

CUSTOMER SERVICE or NOT

But before I answer that question I must tell you about a huge difference between Europe and the USA when it comes to customer service. The USA strives to give its customers complete satisfaction - from unconditional returns, to discounts, to bending backwards to make sure they keep a customer. In Europe, the opposite is true.  If you touch it - you own it. If you don't like it - no one cares. And usually there is no one higher to complain to. For instance - if I start to complain to a customer service rep on the phone, they just hang up. 

In this specific case - the bank manager accidentally cancelled my credit cards and I had to wait 5 working days for replacements. So as you know we hung out in Spain waiting. The bank manager ( who never called ) told me when I called him that the cards arrived. Great I said - please over night them to the hotel I am staying at. His reply - you have to pay for that service.

You can imagine what I had to say after that. His reply. It costs money to send it over night. I said, yes, but it was your fault and error you cancelled my cards so you should cover the mailing costs. He refused. This went on for a bit more as my voice got louder and louder until he finally agreed to sending them by courier. Can you imagine!!! This type of "lack of service" is quite common throughout most of Europe. At least I have experienced it that way. 

GOODBYE SPAIN
However, in spite of the bank issues and Although we hated to do so - we decided to leave Spain and head to the border of France. Rather than cross over the Pyrenees again - we took the coast road north.



Goodbye to our Girona hotel - so typical of Old Spain



COASTS OF SPAIN:

Spain breaks down its coastal area by names. There are 16 of them along the Peninsula.
A few of the more common ones are -
Costa del Sol, Costa Brava, Costa Blanca, Costa Dorada.

 COSTA BRAVA
The Costa Brava is in the NE of Catalonia in the Provence of Girona.It covers 214 km of coastal roads of curves and turns along the Mediterranean. It starts from the frontier of France/Spain to Blanes.


 BEACHES

Today - we travelled the Costa Brava on a two lane road which hugs the coasts. A road which every 20 feet would wind and curve. The view was gorgeous.

 The beaches of Costa Brava are not long stretches. Instead, they are all small coves - beautifully guarded by the towering cliffs and rocks.








I was getting car sick again from all the winding curves along the small beach road. Bob turned off into one of the beach coves - beautiful aqua clear water protected on each side by hills and black road.

I decided to try to be a better "drinking buddy" since I never drink. We had a glass of wine each and I fell asleep. Wine should be sold as a sleeping pill!!!!!!!!



WHAT DO BOB AND I TALK ABOUT ALL DAY?
Some people have asked me  - "what do Bob and I talk about in the car all day together."
Bob is actually the best traveling partner I ever had and super to travel with. He makes  me laugh most of time and never lacking conversation - whether it is all the history of the area and what he knows or about countless topics which never bore us. With over 10,000 songs on the IPOD or as an added bonus we have 50 spanish lessons to listen to once a day. Otherwise, as you can see by the photos - the daily beauty never ceases to amaze us.
 Just watching nature and it's incredible beauty in silence ...





PORBOU is the last town in Spain before crossing over to France.


Ah croissants... here we come!!


These are so pretty they do not need any words of explanations - just pure natural beauty!! ENJOY! 







Can you smell the freshly baked croissants??



This southern tip of France is also considered Catalonia on the French side. Catalan is also spoken here.



The old border crossing which is no longer in effect.




Another stop to take a break from all the curves.

One keynote difference between Spain and France is how fast the French drive and tailgate. In Spain I thought all the bicyclists were part of the Tour de France while in France I believe all the drivers are on the Lemans Course to win a title!!



VINEYARDS  all along the coast... can you taste the wine yet?





Vineyards everywhere.. all along the mountain sides.



Our resting spot!


Ah... so any suggestions as to where we should head tomorrow? 
North? 
South?
East?
West?

Hope you didn't get too car sick today? We promise to not take too many winding curves tomorrow! Come on... get in... the back seat is starting to get full - we may have to upgrade to a mini van soon!!




TIDBIT - Cala in Spanish means cove.

FYI- Some people have asked if they can forward the blog to some of their friends. Please please feel free to pass and share this with anyone you know. If you send me their email I can add it or they can add their email at the bottom of a blog. The previous blogs are on the right column. Just click and a drop down appears with all the older posts.The URL to the blog is www.jasmineroadtrip.blogspot.com   (You can email your friends that address.)




As usual - thanks for joining us ...
night night....



Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Friends,

It is not that when I don't make a comment - that I am not reading your blogging! What a phrase! Maybe it's too early in the morning for me?

Anyway, still like your reports. Started to do the quizzes - but ran out of time! The weather here (Geneva) has been super since weeks! So, busy with outdoor activities!

However, it’s getting very dry, since practically no serious rain for month! i.e. hottest temperatures since 1800 something. Global warming or just cycles?

To answer your question: NORTH-EAST is the way to go – hoping the weather stays like this!

Have a nice driving day and – take it easy on the curves.

Patrick

Laura said...

I just love to wake up and have my Pete's Major Dickensons Coffee while reading all about your adventure. I am spoiled! It is amazing that coast of Spain!!!! Coming into France makes me think of the time we traveled to the French Riviera stopping in Cap d'Ail to find a place to stay for the night. Remember I went to change my clothes next to a Cactus Joshua tree and bumped my bare bum against the thorns and felt them for days after when I would sit?????? That was funny! And when we could not find a vacancy in a youth hostile....we slept out behind some awesome mansions in a broken down gazebo surounded by ocean water with nothing but our clothes and back pack. Remember the "BUG" Jasmine? Also the kids who shared their tent!!!!!! What a memory....Thank You Jasmine for sharing those days with me!!! And now, you and Bob share your days with me once again!!!!!!

I say, "BONJOUR to FRANCE" with open hearts to you my friends. Have a Great day!!!!!!!!!!

Subscribe To

 
Design by Wordpress Theme | Bloggerized by Free Blogger Templates | free samples without surveys